S.T.A.R Puppy Class Description
We offer three choices for A.K.C. STAR Puppy classes. Puppies may begin any Star Puppy class as early as 10 weeks, provided they have received a minimum of two doses of puppy Distemper/Parvo-virus shots prior to the first night of class. Dogs 6 months of age or older must have proof of Rabies vaccination or proof of current titers in addition to the Distemper/Parvo-virus shots.
Star Puppy Junior – these classes are limited to puppies 10 weeks to no more than 6 months of age. This class may include off-leash socialization with the other puppies if appropriate for the group of puppies based on mix of ages and sizes.
Star Puppy Senior – these classes are limited to puppies over 6 months of age and who will complete the class prior to 12 months of age. There is no off-leash socialization in this class.
Star Puppy Mixed – these classes will accept puppies of any age from 10 weeks to those who will complete the class prior to 12 months of age. There is no off-lease socialization in this class.
All Star Puppy Classes
All classes are seven weeks long which includes an orientation night without the puppy. Raising a puppy can be challenging but is also one of life’s greatest joys! Our puppy classes are designed to get you and your puppy off to a good start by teaching you how to best communicate with your puppy to teach him basic manners and skills. You will also get basic grooming and health tips to keep your pup clean and healthy. Puppy class sets a foundation for success for your puppy for good behavior at home and in the community.
You are your puppy will learn practical skills such as giving you his/her full attention, sit, down, wait/stay, walking on a loose leash and coming when called. In addition, you will be able to get help and information to address puppy issues such as jumping on people, house-training, barking and chewing. The class session will culminate in a test where your puppy will have the opportunity to earn the AKC STAR Puppy if you have met the criteria established by AKC. You can read more about the AKC Star Puppy program requirements below.
For all Star Puppy classes you will need:
well fitted flat buckle collar for your puppy (one he/she can’t back out of)
a six foot leash (leather preferred, no chain or flexi leashes)
several kinds of treats that your dog values
A treat bag or vest with pockets to make treats readily reachable
at least one small toy
a grooming brush appropriate for your dog’s coat
poop bags in case of an accident
Star Puppy Class Orientation (first night of class)
Dogs should not be brought to the first class. The first class of each session is an Orientation class that is done without the puppies. Be sure to bring a copy of your registration confirmation email along with copies of your puppy’s shot records. For the safety of all dogs, no dogs are allowed in the building without current shot/titers records.
WHAT IS THE AKC STAR PUPPY PROGRAM?
S.T.A.R. stands for Socialization, Training, Activity, and Responsibility. When you provide your puppy with socialization, training, and activities and you are a responsible owner, you'll build a relationship that will last a lifetime.
How It Works
When you complete a basic training class (taught by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator) with your puppy (up to 1 year old) your puppy is eligible to be enrolled in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program.
On the seventh week of your basic puppy training class, your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test. Upon passing the test, you will receive an application to send to AKC® for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. All dogs are welcome to participate in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program including purebreds and mixed breeds.
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal
Your puppy will receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal. You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records. In addition, so that you can continue learning, you'll receive our AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy package that includes:
A beautiful, frameable certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC
A copy of the AKC Puppy Handbook
An ongoing Monthly Email Newsletter: "Your AKC", Which includes training tips and up-to-date information every dog owner needs to know.
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Test Items
S.T.A.R. Puppy Test OWNER BEHAVIORS:
1. Maintains puppy's health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner's choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)