S.T.A.R Puppy Class Description
Our S.T.A.R. Puppy Class is for puppies with at least 2 puppy vaccinations and who are up to 12 months of age. For dogs over 1 year, you may want to consider our Beginner Obedience Class. This class differs from the Beginner Obedience as it is designed for puppies with a shorter attention span and greater need for socialization.
Raising a puppy can be challenging but is also one of life's greatest joys! Our puppy classes are designed to get you and your puppy off to a good start by teaching you how to best communicate with your puppy to teach him basic manners and skills. Puppy class sets a foundation for success for your puppy for good behavior at home and in the community.
You and your puppy will learn practical skills such as sit, down, walking on a loose leash, and coming when called. In addition, you will be able to get help and information to address puppy issues such as house-training, barking, and chewing. The class session will culminate in a test where your puppy will have the opportunity to earn the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy award.
Orientation - for Puppy Classes (first night of class)
Dogs should not be brought to the first class. The first class of each seven week session is an Orientation Class that is done without your dogs. Be sure to bring a copy of your payment and shot records. For the safety of all our dogs, not dogs are allowed in the building without current shot records.
Please see our Vaccination Policy, Registration and Class Info, and Class Schedule for more information.
WHAT IS THE AKC STAR PUPPY PROGRAM?
S.T.A.R. stands for Socialization, Training, Activity, and Responsibility. When you provide your puppy with socialization, training, and activities and you are a responsible owner, you'll build a relationship that will last a lifetime.
How It Works
When you complete a basic training class (taught by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator) with your puppy (up to 1 year old) your puppy is eligible to be enrolled in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program.
On the seventh week of your basic puppy training class, your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test. Upon passing the test, you will receive an application to send to AKC® for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. All dogs are welcome to participate in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program including purebreds and mixed breeds.
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal
Your puppy will receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal. You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records. In addition, so that you can continue learning, you'll receive our AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy package that includes:
- A beautiful, frameable certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC
- A copy of the AKC Puppy Handbook
- An ongoing Monthly Email Newsletter: "Your AKC", Which includes training tips and up-to-date information every dog owner needs to know.
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Test Items
S.T.A.R. Puppy Test OWNER BEHAVIORS:
1. Maintains puppy's health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner's choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)